Virginia DUI Lawyers
Virginia Traffic Ticket LawyersThe Virginia traffic ticket lawyer at Boone Beale may be able to help you fight your traffic ticket in court. A traffic ticket is not a conviction. If you have received a traffic ticket, it is important to note that a traffic ticket is only an accusation of a crime. Under the law, you are innocent until proven guilty. This means that you have a right to challenge your traffic ticket in court. While some people might just choose to pay a traffic ticket, if you already have demerit points on your driving record, a new ticket could potentially result in the loss of your driver’s license. If you find yourself in this situation, or if you are concerned that a traffic ticket might result in higher insurance rates, you may want to speak to a Virginia traffic ticket lawyer at Boone Beale today. If you have received a traffic ticket and want to fight it, a Virginia traffic ticket lawyer at Boone Beale may be able to help. Before you pay your traffic ticket, reach out to Boone Beale to learn more.
How Many Demerit Points in Virginia Will Result in a Suspended License?Under Virginia law, if you get 18 demerit points on your license in a 12-month period, or 24 points in 24 months, you could possibly lose your license. The number of points you’ll get on your license depends on the type of traffic ticket violation you have received. Some traffic tickets can add six points to your license, and others add only three points. Some traffic ticket violations can stay on your record for as long as 11 years, while others might remain on your driving record for a shorter period of time. What are some examples of 6 demerit point violations? Some examples include:
- Reckless driving (traveling over 85 miles per hour over the speed limit)
- Passing an emergency vehicle or school bus
- Failing to properly signal
- Drunk driving
- Driving on a suspended license
- Speeding 10 (or more) miles over the posted speed limit
- Unsafe passing
- Failure to yield right of way
- Following too closely
- Railroad violations
- Speeding under 10 miles above the posted speed limit
- Failure to obey highway signs
- Driving without lights
- No license
Virginia Traffic Ticket DefensesA Virginia traffic ticket lawyer at Boone Beale may be able to use a range of legal defenses to have your traffic ticket dismissed or your charges dropped or reduced. Every situation is unique. If you have received a traffic ticket in Virginia and are not sure what to do next, reach out to the Virginia traffic ticket lawyer at Boone Beale today. The types of defenses available to you will depend on the type of traffic ticket you received. The most common traffic tickets involve speeding tickets. Basically, with speeding tickets, if you exceeded the speed limit posted on the sign, you are in violation of the law and can receive a traffic ticket. When it comes to challenging a speeding ticket here are some common defenses:
- Challenge the device used to measure your speed. Police departments use a range of devices to measure speed. These devices can include speedometer clocks, radar devices, LIDAR devices, aircraft, photo radar, and drone devices. Your Virginia traffic ticket lawyer can look at what type of device was used to measure your speed, ask when the device was last maintained, calibrated, or what kind of training was involved in the use of the device. If there is any question about the accuracy of the device, your Virginia traffic ticket lawyer at Boone Beale may potentially be able to get a judge to dismiss the speeding ticket or reduce the charges. Sometimes a few demerit points can mean the difference between the loss of your license and still being able to drive. A traffic ticket lawyer may be able to bring into question how fast you were driving over the speed limit and whether your violation was reckless driving or speeding. Of course, every case is unique, and some devices have lower margins of error than others.
- What was the officer’s speed? If the officer took your speed while he or she was stationary, he or she will get one reading, while if the officer took your speed while he or she was moving, this could also affect the speed he or she records on a device. The reasons for this are very complicated and involve Einstein’s Theory of Relativity—no joke! But, in short, if an officer is traveling alongside a car and he or she is measuring the speed of the vehicle, various factors need to be taken into account, including whether the vehicles were moving toward or away from one another, whether the vehicles were negotiating turns, and the speed of the officer’s car.
- Mistaken observations. Your Virginia traffic ticket lawyer may ask to view dashcam videos in the police officer’s car. When measuring speed, officers can sometimes mistake one car for another, especially if the speed was recorded at night. A Virginia traffic ticket lawyer can ask questions to determine whether it is possible the officer may have mistaken your vehicle for another.
- Speeding for legitimate reasons. If you were speeding to get your pregnant wife to a hospital because she was in labor or if you were speeding to avoid a collision or if your speed was safe for conditions, your traffic ticket lawyer in Virginia may be able to help you fight your ticket. These situations are rare, but there are cases where exceeding the speed limit may have been the safest option given traffic conditions.
Contact a Virginia Traffic Ticket Lawyer TodayThe Virginia traffic ticket lawyer at Boone Beale are here to help you fight your ticket. Sometimes individuals can successfully fight a speeding ticket or other ticket violation just by showing up to court. If the police officer who issued the ticket doesn’t show, the judge may dismiss the violation. But, if you do fight your ticket in court, it is a good idea to come prepared with a strong defense. This is where Boone Beale, a traffic ticket law firm in Virginia may be able to help. Contact us today to learn about your rights and next steps.
We’re Your Trusted Criminal Defense Attorney
With more than 40 years of experience, Boone Beale can provide you with the best criminal defense representation. As your criminal defense attorney in Woodbridge, VA and for the entire Commonwealth of Virginia.
For more information about our services, call us at 703-690-1222 to schedule a consultation.