A lot of people presume a DWI (driving while intoxicated) to be a more severe offense than DUI (Driving Under the Influence) and in many states it is.
Need Help Right Now with a DUI in Fairfax VA?
But in Fairfax VA, the law does not define a difference. In fact, some of your paperwork may mention DUI in Fairfax VA, while other paperwork you have been given may mention DWI in Fairfax VA. It can be very confusing to someone who has never been through the legal system before.
Virginia’s DUI/DWI statute can be found at 18.2-266 of the Code of Virginia. As you may read, it specifies five subsets that are criminalized including the following, to-wit:
- driving while under the influence of alcohol regardless of the blood alcohol content (this means you can get charged for a DUI with a BAC of below .08 even if you are 21 years old or older),
- driving with a blood alcohol content above .08,
- driving while under the influence of drugs,
- driving while under the influence of a combination of alcohol and drugs,
- and driving with a blood concentration of .01 milligrams of PCP per liter of blood, .02 milligrams of cocaine per liter of blood, or .1 milligarms of MDMA per liter of blood.
Nothing specifies DUI or DWI within the statute.
Can you afford a DWI/DUI conviction? Contact the Boone Beale law firm now to talk to a highly-rated, well-respected DUI lawyer in Fairfax VA free of charge. We can help you make sense of your DUI/DWI arrest and charges and design a DUI strategy to get the best results in court.