If you are charged with a federal crime your criminal attorney in Richmond, VA is the one person able to help you mitigate serious consequences, including time in prison. When selecting a criminal attorney in Richmond, VA to represent you against federal charges, look for specific criteria to ensure they are well-equipped to deliver the best criminal defense on your behalf.
Qualifications for a Criminal Attorney in Richmond VA for a Federal Crime
A qualified criminal lawyer must be licensed to practice law in federal court, and will have experience working with a range of U.S. attorneys, as well as the FBI, DEA, Department of Homeland Security and other relevant federal agencies. Look for:
• Professional recognition or awards, including inclusion in the Super Lawyers list.
• Proficient criminal attorneys in Richmond, VA, seek additional legal training in their specific practice areas to improve their knowledge and skills. Check for completion and certification in areas of the law relevant to your specific charges.
• Graduation from advanced legal education programs, such as the National Criminal Defense College, Trial Lawyers College or the National College of DUI Defense, builds expertise and demonstrates a criminal attorney in Richmond, VA, is devoted to the craft and trade of criminal law.
• Search websites like Super Lawyers (www.superlawyers.com), Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings (http://www.martindale.com/s-Virginia/Richmond-lawyers-law.htm) and Avvo (www.avvo.com), which include full profiles on criminal lawyers in Richmond, VA, and independent reviews and ratings from professional colleagues and clients.
• Verify the criminal attorney in Richmond, VA you select is a member in good standing of the Virginia Bar (http://22.214.171.124/NGSAttorneySearch/NGSearch.aspx) and has no outstanding disciplinary action (http://www.vsb.org/attorney/attSearch.asp?S=D) pending against them.
Selecting Your Criminal Attorney in Richmond, VA
Once your research is complete and you have identified several candidates, contact each one for a consultation. The criminal attorney in Richmond, VA that meets your criteria will be evident once this process is complete. The most important factor in your decision should be your comfort level. You are placing your future in the hands of a criminal attorney in Richmond, VA who will, in large part, play the greatest role in your legal outcome.
So ask all the questions you have. Explain what happened to bring you to this point. Listen to each lawyer’s initial impressions and advice, and choose your legal counsel wisely. In doing so, the right criminal attorney in Richmond, VA will rise to the top by giving you the confidence and commitment you need to trust their legal talents and abilities with your future.