Virginia DUI/DWI laws are complex and penalties for a DUI in Richmond, VA have increased in severity over the past several years. Certain types of DUI offenses include the potential of mandatory jail time, even for people with no prior criminal history.
A conviction can be obtained for Driving Under the Influence where it is shown your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .08 percent or above. The two methods used by the Commonwealth to establish blood alcohol concentration to support a DWI conviction include taking a breath sample with a breathalyzer or using a blood test. If taking a breath or blood sample is not an option, a conviction for DUI can be obtained if it is shown that you have consumed enough alcohol or other substance “…to observably affect your manner, disposition, speech, muscular movement, general appearance or behavior” as outlined in Virginia Code §4.1-100.
For “just” a typical DUI in Richmond, VA you need a top-rated DUI defense lawyer in Virginia who understands DUI defenses involving:
- Your alcohol consumption history
- The legal basis for the officer’s initial vehicle stop
- Any statements you made to the law enforcement officer
- Field test results conducted by the officer
- Results of your roadside breath test
- The reasonable suspicion for the officer’s arrest
- The official breath test results
- Procedures followed by the officer in administering all testing
- Compliance with Virginia Code requirements regarding breathalyzer certification
- Compliance with Virginia Code requirements regarding operator certification
The penalties for DUI in Richmond, VA vary depending on your BAC as established by a blood or breath test and whether this is a first-time DUI/or a subsequent offense. The various penalties, both judicial and otherwise, can include:
- Jail time
- License suspension
- Required Virginia Alcohol and Substance Abuse Program (VASAP)
- Mandatory vehicle ignition interlock device
- DMV points
- Increase insurance premiums or possible policy cancellation
- DUI in Richmond, VA conviction record
- Potential negative impact if you posses a national security clearance
- Additional penalties for commercial drivers
Take no unnecessary chances with your future. Contact the legal experts at Boone Beale for a well-constructed defense against any DUI in Richmond, VA. Call a Boone Beale DUI lawyer in Richmond, VA now.