J. Burkhardt “Burk” Beale is an attorney dedicated to the practice of DUI/DWI and criminal defense. Burk has been successfully representing his clients for a period of 33 years, and brings to the table more than just an impressive resume – he brings knowledge and experience as well as a creative mindset to provide his clients with the best possible defense.
A lifetime resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Burk graduated from the University of Virginia in 1977 with a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in psychology and government. He obtained his law degree from the Washington and Lee University School of Law in 1980. Burk was the third generation of his family to graduate from W&L School of Law.
Pursuing a career in criminal defense, Burk initially gained some experience with a Richmond law firm before joining David Boone in January, 1982, where he gradually earned a reputation for zealous advocacy.
Today, he continues to concentrate in the areas of DUI or DWI law, traffic law and all types of criminal defense cases in both state and federal courts. As DUI law is a specialized field, Burk found it necessary to become a certified breath test operator and a field sobriety test instructor conducting field sobriety tests by the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) to know everything a police officer is taught to do so he can prepare a better legal defense for his clients.
Honors and Achievements.
Over the years, Burk has established himself as an authority in his areas of practice:
- Burk has earned an AV Preeminent (5.0) rating, the highest possible score for a lawyer’s ethical standards and professional ability with Martindale-Hubbell.
- Burk is also rated “10 out of 10”, the highest possible rating, with AVVO – a top-rated legal advice website.
- Burk has been selected to be part of an elite group of top attorneys from the state of Virginia, and is included in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers for the National Trial Lawyers.
- Burk was selected as one of the Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers in Virginia, and has accepted membership into the American Society of Legal Advocates (ASLA).
- Burk is the only Founding Member of the National College for DUI Defense (NCDD) from the Commonwealth of Virginia which celebrated its 20th year anniversary in 2014.
- Burk is a founding member of DUI Defense Lawyers Association (DUIDLA) which is a new organization founded in 2014.
- Burk was named a Super Lawyer in Criminal Defense on DUI/DWI in 2014.
He is responsible for arguing four landmark cases in the field of traffic, criminal defense and DUI law that were cited as the most important case of the year in that field when the case was decided by commentators in Virginia:
- Zimmerman v. Commonwealth, which became a precursor for drug courier profile stops in Virginia;
- Taylor v. Commonwealth, successfully challenging the then Virginia Model Jury Instructions on evidence in DUI cases;
- Lash v. The County of Henrico, challenging multiple convictions for the same driving behavior;
- Basfield v. Commonwealth, challenging the statutory admissibility of a blood tests in DUI cases
Publications and Lectures.
Burk is the co-author of “Defense of Serious Traffic Cases in Virginia,” and “Defending Criminal Cases in Virginia,” that are publications by the Virginia Continuing Legal Education (CLE) where he concentrated on search and seizure law, the privilege against self-incrimination, appeals, and the scientific aspects in DUI or DWI cases. Furthermore, Burk has lectured more than 75 times on DUI defense, criminal defense and traffic matters on both a statewide and national level.
Memberships and Associations.
- Burk is a lifetime member of the National Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL).
- Burk is both a general and board member of the Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (VACDL).
- Burk is a member of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (VTLA), and the Prince William County and Fairfax County Bar Associations.
- Burk is a Founding Member of the National College for DUI Defense (NCDD).
- Burk is a Founding Member of DUI Defense Lawyers Association (DUIDLA)
Burk decided to become a lawyer when he was in the 4th grade after studying the politics and history of the American Revolutionary War. He found himself relating to the struggles for those who wanted to guarantee the rights of all citizens against the power and tyranny of an oppressive government. He has seen far too many people plead guilty or be convicted when their case could have been won. He has dedicated his professional career to assisting those who have put their faith and confidence in him.
Contact Burk today at firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-218-2075 or call any of our office locations to discuss your case.