Anyone accused of committing an act of crime needs a well-experienced criminal lawyer in Richmond, VA. Regardless of the type of crime, the evidence against you, or the status of any ongoing investigation, you are still innocent until proven guilty. The right criminal lawyer in Richmond, VA will help protect your civil rights, assure fair treatment in the criminal justice system, and secure the best possible outcome for your future.
During 2013 there were 10,818 individuals arrested in Richmond on 23,293 criminal charges ranging from robbery and burglary to rape and aggravated assault. Every individual arraigned in the criminal justice system for criminal conduct needs expert legal representation to navigate the process, understand the proceedings, and make informed decisions about their future.
When your life is on the line and your situation demands an experienced criminal lawyer in Richmond, VA, act quickly. The more time you have to work with your criminal lawyer, the better. Most criminal cases are settled long before they reach a courtroom, so pre-trial hearings and motions offer your criminal lawyer in Richmond, VA opportunities for securing you a more positive outcome.
When interviewing criminal lawyers in Richmond, VA use the following guidelines to determine which one best suits your situation.
- Do they listen and ask questions? Can they explain what you can expect?
- Does their experience in the Richmond courts match the details of your case?
- Ask for their industry awards, ratings, peer recognitions and certifications, noting involvement in continuing legal education and industry organizations.
- Most attorneys offer a no-charge initial case consultation (15 – 30 minutes), with additional consultation time at regular rates.
- What is the style of legal representation do they offer – a one-on-one relationship, a team-based or partnership arrangement, or a full-service legal firm in Richmond?
- Above all else you should be completely comfortable trusting your lawyer’s attitude, philosophy, approach and style.
- Ask about an expected timetable to anticipate significant developments, and a detailed agreement with protocols for critical communication for both parties.
- Lastly, it is vital you substantiate all legal credentials and investigate any disciplinary history with the Virginia State Bar before you sign a contract.
The right criminal lawyer in Richmond, VA is a crucial ally in developing a comprehensive criminal defense to successfully fight for your future.