Finding the right DUI lawyer in Richmond, VA is the most important thing you can do to right after you are charged with a DUI offense. For most people a DUI arrest and the period immediately following is a confusing, tumultuous time when you are in limbo until you find the most qualified, experienced DUI lawyer in Richmond, VA.
Staying organized and paying attention to details will help you as you share documents and information with your DUI lawyer. Richmond, VA is a large metropolitan area with plenty of DUI lawyers willing to take your case. You need to understand their qualifications, the extent of their experience with similar DUI cases, and scrutinize their proposed contract to determine which DUI lawyer in Richmond you can trust to provide a successful DUI defense.
Preparing for your initial meetings with lawyers is essential to understanding the charges against you, evaluating the potential penalties and consequences, and making informed decisions that will have deep implications for your future. The following tips will guide you through the interview and hiring process to ensure you have chosen your DUI lawyer in Richmond, VA with confidence.
- Take your citation and any arrest documents along with a copy of your driving record from the DMV. If you have a criminal history, take that as well.
- Be prepared with previously completed questionnaires, diagrams, potential evidence and a written list of questions important to you.
- Be diligent in doing your homework so you have enough general knowledge about your situation and the DUI lawyers in Richmond, VA you are considering to make a reasonably informed choice.
- You may be asked to pay a retainer when you sign the final agreement, so bring a checkbook or credit card.
- Ask every pertinent question you have and share any information you feel may be relevant to your defense. All discussions are protected by law under attorney-client privilege, and your privacy is expected in accordance with the requirements of the State Bar Association.
- Remember time is money when you are with your DUI lawyer, so it’s best to allow them to initiate and direct the conversation before you jump in.
- Expect each DUI lawyer in Richmond, VA to ask both factual and questions probing your character and background. If they are to properly represent you in your DUI case your relationship has to rest in complete trust and respect.
- Be thorough and leave satisfied there are no unanswered questions or gray areas.