Current facts about DWI in Richmond reveal a detailed picture of how alcohol-related traffic incidents affect the safety of our roads. The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles 2012 Commonwealth of Virginia Traffic Crash Facts provides detailed statistics regarding traffic accidents in Virginia involving alcohol. 229 people were killed in alcohol-related crashes in 2012, a 6.53 percent decrease from 2011.
Some other Virginia-specific statistics:
- 14 teenagers, aged 15-19, were killed in alcohol-related crashes, 1.81 percent of the total (775) traffic fatalities.
- 5,861 persons were injured in alcohol-related crashes, a 7.25 percent increase from 2011.
- The average BAC of tested drinking drivers was 0.1397.
- 22,531 people were tested with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or greater, a(n) 3.95 percent decrease from 2011.
- 28,719 persons were convicted of DUI, a 1.98 percent increase from 2011.
- Of those convicted of DUI, 77.2 percent were male and 22.8 percent were female.
- Death is nearly 10 times more likely when alcohol is involved in the crash.
Geographically specific facts show Henrico County had 332 alcohol-related crashes with five fatalities and 192 injuries, while the City of Richmond had 318 alcohol-related crashes with 5 fatalities and 218 injuries. The great tragedy in Virginia is that is that the overwhelming majority of people injured or killed in alcohol-related vehicle crashes have not been drinking. DWI in Richmond, VA can be deadly for anyone.
While these facts show the grim reality of how DWI-related behaviors destroy innocent lives, they also reveal a silver lining. Enforcement efforts in Virginia have mitigated the destruction caused by people driving while intoxicated.
The takeaway is clear: If you choose to get behind the wheel while you are impaired by alcohol, you run a significant risk of either facing a DWI in Richmond, VA or the terrible consequences of a fatal or injurious DWI traffic event. The choice is yours.
DWI laws in Virginia are severe, and the outcome of your DWI could follow you for many years. In the event you are stopped and charged with DWI in Richmond, VA, you will need the best legal counsel you can afford. Contact the Richmond DWI experts at Boone Beale. Our DUI division has years of experience, up-to-date training in legislative changes, and total comfort with the legal system in Richmond, VA.
Don’t become a statistic. Call the DWI lawyers at Boone Beale for strong legal representation and the best possible outcome for your DWI in Richmond, VA.